Sunday, August 19, 2007

Take me out to the movies

It takes an act of congress to get me into a movie theater these days, simply because there has not been a movie released for quite some time I have wanted to see. I did see Transformers, and I did enjoy it a lot, but it was Kody's prompting that got me to go. Before that, I don't remember the last movie I saw in the theater.
That is all about to change.

I have been hearing about this movie called Hatchet, which is supposed to be the triumphant return of the good old slasher movie. While supposedly being scary, it is also priding itself on being quite funny. It did very well at the Tribeca Film Festivle, and has been getting some good reviews. They also managed to gather some horror icons in Robert Englund, Tony Todd, and Kane Hodder (better known as Freddy Kruger, The Candyman, and Jason Vorhees) for the film.



Then of course, there is the issue of Halloween. I have blogged about this before, but now that it is getting so close, I thought I would mention it again. Of course I must go see it. Halloween is my favorite horror movie of all time! I am still struggling with this remake/reinvention/whatever the fuck you call it. But, like Kody told me, "you will either love it or hate it." This is true, but I can tell you right now that Rob Zombie (gag) will always play second string to what was done right the first time!



Later this year I will most likely go see The Golden Compass. I liked the book when I was younger, and the trailer looks pretty good, even if the very beginning leaves it with some rather large shoes to fill (which it unfortunately can't do). Nonetheless, it looks enjoyable.



I am intrigued with this movie, which to my knowledge still has no title. I saw the trailer at the theater before Transformers, and have been wondering ever since.



A little father down the road we have Diary of the Dead. Now, I am a BIG zombie fan, which makes Mr. George A. Romero one of my heroes. I loved Night, Dawn, and Day. Land was ok, but lets just say it was far from my favorite. Now we have this new one. I am going to keep an open mind here, even though it is supposed to happen parallel to Night of the Living Dead, yet set in mordern times which I find confusing. Anyway, when it comes out I will certanily sample it. No preview yet, but here is an interview with Mr. Romero.



Ok, last but not least, here is your dose of 80's bliss for the day!!!


Tpau - Heart And Soul

3 comments:

moogaman said...

I would try checking out Stardust. It's actually a fantasy story that wasn't a terrible movie. On par with Neverending Story and the such from the 80s.

Zan said...

I would agree with Moogaman. I think you would enjoy Stardust. I'm also looking forward to the comeback of the old-fashioned slasher flick. Fun fun!!

Oh, and very nice "splash of 80's" choice. T'PAU!! See, makes a nice gunshot noise. :)

Anonymous said...

But why goto the movies when you have a big screen HD TV and can enjoy the movie from the comfort of your own home. Instead of paying 8-15 dollars a seat at the theater, be completely uncomfortable, and feel dirty comming out of the theater because you were just sitting someplace and resting your hands on something that has not been clean since the day it was installed 15 years ago. EEWWWW

However I do want to see Stardust. But for me it is really only movies like Transformers that pull me out to see. Otherwise I prefer waiting for the DVD and seeing at home anymore.